Monks international

Monks international

Sector: Production
solution: Bespoke applications

MONKS INTERNATIONAL NV, founded in 1834 in Pendlebury, UK under the name of MONKS BROS., started its activities as a cotton weaving mill. The textile crisis at the beginning of the 20th century forced the owners to move the mill to Kortrijk, Belgium and it was in 1920 that they started the production there at a brand new factory.

After heavy bombing during WW II, only the mattress ticking weaving division was still standing and it was then decided to specialize in the weaving of mattress ticking.

In 1992, MONKS BROS. got a new owner and the name was changed into MONKS INTERNATIONAL NV. The production facility moved from Kortrijk to Oostrozebeke. The new mill was the first in the industry to be fully equipped with air-jet looms. This new weaving technology made MONKS INTERNATIONAL NV “the” ticking mill with the fastest delivery time and customer response. This service proved to be very much appreciated and soon the newly built mill turned out to be too small.

In 2000 the factory was moved to its current facility in Wielsbeke. MONKS INTERNATIONAL NV is now completely vertically integrated with a yarn extrusion plant, a yarn and fabric dyehouse, a weaving mill, a knitting mill (started in 2005), a finishing plant and a specialized quality assurance laboratory.

Today, MONKS INTERNATIONAL NV exports its woven and knitted fabrics to mattress manufacturers in more than 60 different countries.

www.monks.be